Saturday, August 20, 2016

Spring in Japan: Pontocho

Still day 5.

After Starbucks, I decided to go back to the guesthouse and rest for a bit before going out to eat dinner. When I was about to reach the bridge, I noticed a couple of guys taking a picture at the entrance of a narrow alley. I continued walking and after a few steps, I thought, could this be the famous Pontocho? then I stopped and realized that it was so I went back and entered the alley. There were a lot of people, but not too crowded so people with umbrella walking past each other wasn't a problem. Based on what I read about restos along Pontocho, it seems expensive. So I tried walking around and check out the menus displayed outside. Not too bad. Maybe if you want a dinner with a maiko/geiko performance, then yes, it'll be expensive. But the prices I saw wasn't as expensive as I thought. It ranges from around 1,000 yen to 5,000 yen, if I remember right. That night being my last night in Japan, and seeing that I still have a couple thousand of yen, I thought, why the hell not?














































Oh, and I even saw a real Maiko! Awesooommeee!!!








































I also saw a couple having their prenup photo session at the park. Awww...that's so nice!










































I got to the end of the alley and still haven't decided where to eat dinner. So I went home and rested for a bit. When the time to eat dinner came, the temperature dropped a little lower. I made sure I was warm for the night walk before leaving the guesthouse.






































So..where to eat?


































I ended up at a yakitori restaurant near the other end of Pontocho. The ambiance wasn't intimidating and looks more like a bar. So I went in and waited to be seated. After a few minutes, I was led and seated at the counter. Coolness. There was a box at the side of each seat where you can put your coat and/or your bag. I saw that all the other customers have theirs on their own so I put mine down as well. I looked at the menu and ordered unagidon (eel rice bowl), a pork and asparagus skewer and a beer. I waited and they served me an appetizer which was pork with a little veggie. I don't know what it's called but it's good. They also served the beer along with the appetizer so I was really starting to feel good about dinner. When they served the unagidon, it smelled so good. When I took a spoonful in my mouth, I was like, 'so this is what the fuss is all about unagi'. It was sooo good and my tummy was so grateful for it. And the pork and asparagus skewer? It was the best! It was melt in the mouth and so tasty! This was the best meal in all of my stay in Japan. I was just so happy and thankful for all the Japanese food altogether. Hahaha! I will definitely be back one day.

appetizer

sapporo beer

my super yummy dinner, unagidon

melt in the mouth pork and asparagus skewer

counter

i don't know the name of the restaurant

if you want to look for this restaurant,just look for this outside

menu :)













































































































































































































































































































My walk back to the restaurant was slow. I was trying to savor the time I have left in this wonderful city before my flight the next day.

kawaramachi


No comments:

Post a Comment