Sunday, August 21, 2016

Guesthouse Rakuza, Gion Kyoto



This was the first guesthouse that I booked for my first trip to Japan and I remember feeling excited to stay here. I searched it in google street view and was able to familiarize myself around the area months before my trip. Yeah, talk about excited! Haha! It is simply the perfect location to be immersed in the traditional Japanese culture!

The first and main reason I decided to book this is the location. It is in GION! The place to be if you're into anything traditional Japanese, like me. This is one of the two go-to place to spot real geishas, or geikos as they are known in Kyoto, and maikos (apprentice geikos) scurrying from one restaurant to another. (Sidenote: They are busy working women so please don't stop and harass them for photos.) The other one is in Pontocho, which is just across the bridge from Gion! You see what I mean when I say perfect location?

It is less than one minute walk to the Gion-Shijo station of Keihan Line that can bring you directly to Fushimi Inari Shrine. Uji and Kurama/Kibune can be accessed with only one transfer. Kiyomizu-dera and Ohara is one bus away from Gion-Shijo and Shijo-Kawaramachi bus stations, respectively. Nishiki market and Teramachi shopping center are all walking distance. Even the Kyoto International Manga Museum, if you like walking like me.

One more reason for choosing this guesthouse was because there were a lot of restaurants in the area! There is also a 7-11 kombini at the corner of the street and Family Mart 2 for a few steps more.

I booked the twin Japanese tatami room which was at the 1st floor near the toilets and bath. The room was spacious and has a heater aside from the air conditioner which was a big help since it was only the start of spring.






It was warm enough inside the room but when we go to the toilet, it was so cold because the hallway is an open space which is in front of the garden. Taking a bath was a struggle. My mom and I both shivered when taking off our clothes then get scalded by the hot water. It was difficult for us to get the right temperature, but we eventually managed.

The price of the twin room was 7,800 per night including the tax already. It was pretty much the same with other guesthouse in Kyoto. We booked for 3 nights for a total of 23,400 JPY.

There were free coffee and tea in the common room. Hot water is provided, of course, and microwave as well. There is a shared computer .You can borrow a hairdryer, phone charger, card reader, extension cords and adaptor for free. The shampoo and body wash are free, but yukata and towels are for rent. There is free wi-fi but the connection depends on the location of the room. Although from our room, we were able to connect just fine.

The staff were very accommodating and speaks english.

I was very happy with our stay here. Case in point, I stayed here again during my 2016 solo trip travel. ;-) Click here to contact Guesthouse Rakuza.

kyoto cheap hostel, guest house
map from Guesthouse Rakuza website




















No comments:

Post a Comment