Saturday, August 20, 2016

Spring in Japan: Kyoto International Manga Museum

April 11, 2015
6th day
Solo adventure day 2

I woke up around 8am and felt sad that this will be my last day in Japan. It wasn't raining and the sun was out so I prepared all my stuff, took a shower and got ready to check out before heading out and explore more of the city for the last time. I gave the chocolate coated dried mango to the guy at the reception and thanked me by giving me a Tropicana juice for my walk. Aww. So nice.







































I left my luggage and headed out. The temperature was nice at around 12C degrees, I think, and thought it would be nice to walk by the river. And it was, indeed.




























































Went to Kyoto International Manga Museum after which was about 20-30 minutes walk from the river. It was a nice morning walk and not a lot of people around yet.



































I reached the museum around 10:30am. I paid 800 yen entrance fee and was given a map of the museum in english. Photos are not allowed inside the museum, unfortunately. If you're into manga, you are gonna love this place.

































They have this Wall of Manga which is a vast collection of the manga that you can take and read anywhere within the museum grounds. I saw the collection of Rurouni Kenshin and just had to take out the first volume and scan through it. Awesome! How lovely would it be to be able to sit outside the park area of the museum and just read to my hearts content. But it was in Nihongo and I can only pick up some of the easy words. Hehe. I promised myself that once I can read decent enough Japanese, I will be back. Hmm..I wonder if I will ever be back. Lol. I do hope so..and I will. Hehe. I saw other titles as well such as Detective Conan, Lupin the III and Bakuman to name a few. I wandered around and saw that there was also a tatami room for reading. I got myself two gachapon which were capsule toys or egg toys dispensed by a vending machine. One was a Taguro cellphone charm and the other is Hikonyan, the Hikone city mascot which is a cat with a samurai helmet. Kawaii!






I left around 12:30 and looked for somewhere to eat. I was actually looking for a restaurant that offers Okonomiyaki. I walked and walked and checked the restaurants I passed by but no okonomiyaki.

































I reached Tawaramachi and saw one restaurant offering okonomiyaki. Yay! But, there was a line and had to wait. It was already 1:00 pm and I really wanted to leave Kyoto by 2:00 so I still have enough time to go to the airport and buy last minute pasalubong and souvenirs.




So I left and went looking for an okonomiyaki around the guesthouse but didn't find any as well. I gave up and just decided to enter a random resto and found myself in an udon resto. I thought I'll just look for okonomiyaki at the airport and just eat to fill my hungry tummy. I ordered a plain udon with just egg, and regretted it later. For the nth time, I underestimated Japanese food and didn't expect udon to be this good. I should've ordered tempura with it as well. Ugh. But to say the least, I enjoyed my udon to bits! Called out 'arigatou gozaimashita' before leaving the restaurant happy.



Got my luggage at the guesthouse and headed for the airport at around 2:30pm. Took the train from Gion-Shijo to Tofukuji, transferred to JR train going to Kyoto station, then transferred yet again to Haruka limited express which will bring me to Kansai International Airport.



































I almost stayed for one more night in Osaka for free! I was checking in and the staff of Cebu Pacific was looking for 1 passenger who is willing to move their flight the next night in exchange of free accommodation with meals AND 1 return trip for an international destination anywhere (or maybe not anywhere, but at least Japan is one of them). I was hesitant because I was supposed to attend Bjorn's wedding the next day. Since I can't decide for my own, I told the staff that if nobody took it, I was willing to move my flight the next night. So I sat and waited. After around 30 minutes, I was decided to stay, but they called my name and informed me that somebody took the offer already. Awww. So sad! It would've been a free trip to Korea or even Japan again! Tsk. Oh well. At least I get to attend Bjorn's wedding. Hehe.

Anyway, after checking in my luggage, I tried looking for a restaurant offering okonomiyaki. I saw one but I was still full from the udon so I just bought a couple of kitkats (ichigo and matcha+sakura flavor), a pack of green tea, Osaka banana, a Sakamoto Ryoma shirt, and other stuff. Entered the immigration area and bought myself a green tea frappuccino from Starbucks as a going away drink for myself. Hahaha! Sayonara, Japan! It's been a wonderful week and I'm sure I will be back.



No comments:

Post a Comment