Saturday, August 27, 2016

Getting a Japan Visa: For Filipinos Applying for the First Time


Is it your first time to apply for Japan Visa? Or maybe it's your first out of the country trip as well, just like me. So your passport has never been used and never been stamped? Don't fret! It's possible to have your tourist visa application approved even if your passport is as clean and empty as a new notebook in your first day of class.

My 2015 Japan trip was my first out of the country trip ever. So the thought of applying for a visa was really nerve-wracking for me. I already booked a flight and I was really excited to visit my favorite country (after the Philippines, hehe).

All Japan tourist visa applications are now handled by accredited travel agencies. Our trip was in April and I applied for our visa in mid-January. The tourist visa is valid for 3 months so plan accordingly. I visited Reli Tours in Megamall, which was the most accessible and the closest one from our place.

Here are the requirements in applying for a Tourist Visa Without a Guarantor:



  1.Philippine Passport 
    Broken lamination of the photo part is not accepted. 
    (Must have signature and have at least two (2) blank pages.)
  2.Visa Application Form (Down Load Page)
  3.Photo 
    2×2 (4.5×4.5cm) White Background 
    (Must be pasted on the application form.)
   4.Birth Certificate of Applicant -ORIGINAL
    Must be from PSA main office / Serbilis Center issued with one(1) year. 
   If Birth Certificate from PSA is unreadable
    In addition to Birth Certificate from Local Civil registar 
   If there is no record in PSA
    In addition to "Certificate of non-Record" from PSA Headquarter. 
    Attached together with the one from Local Civil Registrar.
   If Birth Certificate from PSA "LATE REGISTRATION" 
    Baptismal Certificate 
    School Record (from 137) 
    School Yearbook (if applicable) 
    *Please indicate complete address and land line(telephone, if applicable) of the church in the baptismal
     certificateand of the school record. 
  5.Marriage Contract (if the applicant is married)  -ORIGINAL
    Must be from PSA main office / Serbilis Center Center issued with one(1) year. 
   If there is no record in PSA
    You must submit certificate of non-record together with the one from LOCAL CIVIL REGISTER.
   *If the applicant is has his / her old or valid passport with a used Japanese visa....
     Exemption of BIRTH CERTIFICATES(4) & MARRIAGE CONTRACT(5).

     Must attached the old passport with used Japan Visa.
  6:Daily Schedule in Japan (TAIZAI YOTEIHYO) (Down Load Page)
  7.Bank Certificate (original)
  8.Income Tax Return Copy (Form 2316) (original and photocopy)
  9..Guarantee Letter (If applicable)  LETTER OF GUARANTEE(PDF)
 MUST PROVIDE  PHOTOCOPY A4 SIZE OF BAPTISMAL

Basically, these were all the documents I submitted except the marriage contract and guarantee letter. I don't think my mom submitted a marriage contract since my dad passed away back in 2012, which was also indicated in the application form. No other documents was asked from her.

Before applying for the visa though, I requested for 2 copies of Certificate of Employment from our HR just in case. Aside from the usual information written in the COE, I had the details such as the dates of my vacation leave and the date when I will report back to work included in it. I will recommend that you bring it on your trip in case the immigration officer asks for any proof of employment.

For the bank certificate, my mom and I have an account with BPI and we paid Php 100 each for the bank certificate. It only took about 30 minutes, if I remember correctly.

Things to remember!
  • Do not staple your documents together. 
  • Use paste/glue to attach your photo.
  • All documents must be in A4 size paper (except maybe the daily schedule, mine was in a short bond paper and they accepted it)
  • Do not leave any space blank. Put N/A if necessary.
The processing of visa application takes approximately 7 days. I submitted our application on a Sunday and was given a contact number should I have any questions or want to inquire if my passport is ready for pick up. I called on a Friday and was told that our passports were ready for pick up. I went there the next Saturday as soon as the mall opened and got our passports. The anticipation and the fear of getting denied a visa was too much. I waited till I was out the door before I flipped my passport open and squealed when I saw a visa. I checked my mom's passport and she got hers, too! Awesome! Our single entry visa allows us to stay for a maximum of 15 days. Woot! The reality of going to Japan was so overwhelming and exciting! Nothing can stop us now. Lol.

Anyway, as for the bank certificate, I really don't know the minimum amount required, if any. Of course it will also depend on how long you plan to stay in Japan. For a week long stay,some said 50k is enough and some said 60k, but I will suggest to have atleast 75k for a week stay. Still, that's not a guarantee your visa application will be approved. FYI, I have a friend who applied for a tourist visa for 1 week stay with 54k in his bank account, but he was denied. Of course, the embassy nor the travel agency will not give you a reason why your visa application was denied. DISCLAIMER: Again, I do not know the minimum amount necessary to have your visa approved. Besides, the embassy can deny your visa application for reasons other than the amount you have in your bank account.

In any case, I hope this helps and wish that you will be granted a Japan visa, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment