Thursday, August 18, 2016

Spring in Japan: Nishiki market

Still day 5.

I got off Gion-Shijo and walked to Nishiki market since it was just a few blocks away according to google maps. Also, I love walking around and discovering little gems of cute stuff along the way. The view of the Kamogawa from the bridge was awesome.

 

As I said, I was using google maps to go to Nishiki. However, I still find myself lost after turning left at the corner of Marui instead of just continue walking straight. I knew I was lost, but continued walking coz I was looking for someone to ask for directions. I saw a cute Japanese guy cleaning outside and in my best Nihongo asked, "Nishiki wa doko desu ka? (Where is Nishiki?)" At first, I thought he just didn't understand me very well. Apparently, he wasn't sure as well. I almost expected him to just say "Sumimasen, wakarimasen.(Sorry, I don't know)" at this point, but he took his phone out and tried to google it for me! What a nice guy. I so love Japan and the people there! He then told me to go back to Marui and turn left. Once I passed Teramachi, I can turn right to any alleys and it will lead me to Nishiki market.

saw this old abandoned house when I got lost







































Nishiki market is a long alley of different kinds of shops - lotsa food items, souvenirs, trinkets, clothes and even stuff for your home - about 1km or so (will check on this). This is one place where you can go on a food trip while checking out each cute and unique stores along the way. I was still full from the takoyaki so I was only able to try the dango in 3 flavors - plain, sakura and green tea. Yummy! So sad I wasn't able to try the grilled mochi which looked so good!

You'll know you're in Nishiki when you see this pretty stained glass roof. It runs along the whole length of the market.



I remember Rurouni Kenshin.haha!

pickled cucumber

geta

nori

seafood

sesame seeds

seasoning/furikake

this is where I bought my matcha cream powder

fugu

pretty sakura blooms








































































































































































































































































































I was tired after all the walking so I parked my ass on the nearest Starbucks store that I found and ordered a matcha latte. And yes, it's a matcha latte, not a green tea latte which we have in the Philippines. Sigh. I so wanna live here!






No comments:

Post a Comment