Sunday, February 26, 2017

Dongdaemun at Night: Of UFOs, Snow Flurries and LED Roses

November 25, 2015
Day 4


Almost skipped visiting this part of Seoul, but since it was really cold that night, and I really need a proper winter coat, and Dongdaemun is the recommended go-to place for night markets AND it's just one station away from Chungmuro, we decided to go. And man, it was awesome! I wasn't impressed with the pictures of the Dongdaemun Design Plaza so I wasn't really keen on visiting it, but seeing it in real life? Woah..WOW! And did I mention it was awesome? The building looks like a big UFO/spaceship and totally out of this world! I guess it's best to visit at night with all the lights that simultaenously..uhm,blinks. Haha! I'm struggling here, but you get the gist, right? I guess it added to its UFO-esque feel, if that's even a word.




The Dongdaemun night market is on the other side of the DDP. We walked a comfortable pace. It was around 9PM but the night market was only getting started for another busy night. Busy streets are filled with stalls on both sides, cars and people at the middle, all trying to get past each other - some with a definite destination in mind, and some just walking aimlessly. We entered a couple of malls but didn't see what we were looking for - good, stylish enough but cheap winter coat. Don't get me wrong, I saw a LOT of stylish coats, but they cost around 70,000 KRW and more. So we kept walking and finally saw a nice long coat with faux fur for only 39,000 KRW. Yay!







When we stepped outside, we saw snow flurries!! It's a very light snow fall that I can barely notice if nobody pointed it out to me. It's almost like dust hovering and slowly falling down. Lol. That's the best way I can describe it. It wasn't snowing per se. But for someone who haven't experienced and seen actual snow, I was soooooo excited! The weather forecast didn't show that it'll snow during my stay so I was happy and content with snow flurries.

On our way to the night market area, I saw a field of LED roses just behind DDP so after buying what I need, we went down to have a closer look. It was magical! Like a scene straight out of a fairy tale..or a Korean drama. Hahaha! It was so pretty up close!





Here's more pictures of Dongdaemun Design Plaza.



And with that, Day 4 ended with a big, wide smile on my face. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment