Monday, July 31, 2017

Changing of the Royal Guard Ceremony: A must-see when you visit Gyeongbokgung


It was a Friday when we visited Gyeongbokgung. Before leaving the guesthouse, I talked to our very accommodating and friendly guesthouse manager, Charlie, about getting to the palace. He then provided the times for the changing of the royal guards ceremony.

I wasn't really excited or anything for the said event, but I thought I'll watch it anyway since I'm already there. And man, was I amazed! It was a ceremony, alright. As I mentioned in my previous post, the palace ground was huge! And it was filled with guards in royal uniform and carrying traditional weapons with a traditional instrument - a big drum - being played during the ceremony. It was both grand and elegant which made me appreciate what little history I know about this country. The beautiful background is a big bonus and brings the whole experience to a different level.


Big traditional Korean painted drum called Buk used during the changing of the royal guard ceremony
We were outside the main gate when we heard the drum beats and we knew that the ceremony has started, so we rushed inside the gate while we still can. The beating of the drums was loud enough for everyone to hear despite the open space while the guards march. I looked at each face and saw how serious they were with their performance. This is after all an exact reenactment of the ceremony which started in the early period of Joseon dynasty. One of the many responsibilities of these guards is to protect the king by guarding the gates of the royal palace. It was indeed a BIG responsibility.




Photo taken before the changing of the royal guard ceremony began
Of course, I wouldn't let this opportunity pass by. I just had to take a photo with one of these awesome bunch of guards that keeps this tradition alive. He looks like the highest ranking official, too! I think he's too serious for a photo op (which is to be expected, duh!). 

No, he won't smile. He doesn't move either.

If you're interested in witnessing this ceremony, the changing of the royal guard takes place twice a day at 10:00AM and 2:00PM daily, except on Tuesdays. You will definitely enjoy it especially if you're a big fan of Korean period dramas. And even if you're not, you will be in for a surprise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment